Fires, Smoke, Soot
Fires, whether in residential or commercial settings, can result in smoke, soot, and odor that can penetrate various areas of a building, causing hidden damage. At SERVPRO of Dubuque, we specialize in smoke and soot damage restoration. Our expertise allows us to inspect the affected areas, accurately assess the extent of the damage, and develop a comprehensive plan of action for restoration.
Smoke, soot, and odor behavior:
- Hot smoke tends to rise to upper levels of a structure and is also attracted to cooler surfaces.
- Smoke can flow through the home, permeating cavities and using openings such as pipe and electrical runs to travel between floors.
- The restoration process can be influenced by the type of smoke and soot present.
- The approach to eliminating odors may vary depending on the specific type of smoke.
Different types of smoke:
There are two main types of smoke: wet smoke and dry smoke. The type of smoke determines the characteristics of the soot residue left behind after a fire. Before initiating restoration, our team at SERVPRO of Dubuque can perform pretesting to identify the type of smoke involved. This information helps us plan and implement the most effective cleaning procedures.
- Wet Smoke (Plastic and Rubber): This type of smoke results from low heat, smoldering fires and produces a pungent odor. Soot from wet smoke tends to migrate horizontally, is sticky, and smears easily. Cleaning smoke webs can be more challenging.
- Dry Smoke (Paper and Wood): Dry smoke is generated by fast-burning fires with high temperatures. Heat rises, causing the smoke to ascend. Dry smoke produces lighter soot that is less likely to be sticky or smear.
Smoke odor removal:
In addition to the physical cleaning process, SERVPRO of Dubuque utilizes various specialized machines to mitigate smoke odors. Examples of these machines include ozone machines, hydroxyl machines, and HEPA air filtration devices with activated carbon/charcoal filters.
Our fire damage restoration services:
Each fire loss is unique and requires a customized solution tailored to the specific conditions. SERVPRO of Dubuque is equipped with the necessary equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your property after fire, smoke, and soot damage. We prioritize treating your family with empathy and respect while caring for your property.
If you experience a fire, smoke, or soot-related loss, reach out to the fire damage professionals at SERVPRO of Dubuque. We are committed to ensuring that the restoration process makes it "Like it never even happened."